Moving can be stressful, especially when it comes to bulky furniture. When hiring furniture movers, one of the most common questions is whether or not they will dismantle furniture. The answer is it depends on the company and the type of furniture being moved.
Types of Furniture That May Need to Be Dismantled
Before discussing whether or not moving companies dismantle furniture, it’s important to identify which types of furniture may need to be taken apart. Some common pieces that may need to be disassembled include:
- Beds: Bed frames can be large and cumbersome, making it difficult to move them through doorways and stairs. Some frames can be easily taken apart, while others require more work.
- Desks: Desks can be heavy and awkward to move, especially if they have drawers or hutch attachments. Dismantling a desk can make transporting and preventing damage to the item easier.
- Dining tables: Large dining tables can be challenging to move, especially if they have extensions. Deconstructing a table can make it easier to handle and transport.
- Sofas: This furniture is large and bulky, making it difficult to move through narrow doorways and hallways. Some sofas can be taken apart to make them easier to transport.
- Shelving Units: Shelving units can be heavy and awkward to move, especially if they are tall. It is better to dismantle them to avoid damage and make transport easier.
Do Moving Companies Dismantle Furniture?
As we mentioned earlier, it all depends on the company and the type of furniture being moved. Some furniture movers offer dismantling as part of their services, while others do not. It’s important to ask them ahead of time if they provide this service and if there are any additional fees associated with them.
Advantages of Dismantling Furniture
- Taking apart the furniture makes it easier to transport. By deconstructing the item, it can be broken down into smaller, more manageable pieces that you can carry easily through doorways and stairs. This prevents damage to the furniture and also makes it easier to fit into a moving truck.
- Transforming big furniture into smaller pieces makes it easier to store. If you’re moving into a smaller space or need to store your furniture for a long time, taking it apart can save you space. This can be especially helpful for large, bulky furniture items.
- It is easy to clean and maintain dismantled furniture. By taking apart a piece of furniture, you can access all of its nooks and crannies, making it easier to clean and maintain. This can help prolong the life of your furniture and keep it looking great for years to come.
Disadvantages of Dismantling Furniture
- Disassembling furniture can be time-consuming. Depending on the size and complexity of the furniture, it can take a significant amount of time to take it apart and put it back together again.
- It can be challenging to take furniture pieces apart if you’re not familiar with the process. If you don’t know how to take apart a particular piece of furniture, you could damage it or lose important parts. This is why it is best to hire a professional moving company with experience dismantling furniture.
- Dismantling furniture can be expensive. Some moving companies charge extra fees for the service, and the cost can add up quickly if you have a lot of items that need to be taken apart.
Moving can be stressful, but it doesn’t have to be. By hiring professional furniture movers that offer dismantling services, you can make the process easier and more efficient. Just be sure to ask ahead of time if dismantling services are included and if there are any additional fees associated with them. With the right help, you can move your furniture safely and efficiently, leaving you free to focus on the other aspects of your move.
Experience safe and timely residential moving with Move Gurus. We are composed of licensed and fully insured professionals, so you can trust that your items and furniture will be handled with care, regardless if they’re dismantled or not. Contact us for a moving service in Calera, AL today!